Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Where can I find some free programs for Linux?

I just started experimenting with Linux, and I like the way it works, I'd like to find some open source programs to use with it, time wasters are especially nice. I'd also like to find some open source security and anti virus software.



Where can I find some free programs for Linux?hijackthis



it depends on your linux distribution. go check distro's website and find out the package manager software for that distro. U can also find new programs and most popular linux opensource programs in http://freshmeat.net



Where can I find some free programs for Linux?malware



Most distros have a repository to download software from. All you have to do is fire up your package manager and search for the program you want.
As Linux has next to no market share, you need no AntiVirus (in general) because no one writes viruses for Linux. The same goes for Macs. Also, Linux appears to be based in stronger UNIX code, making it less vulnerable to viruses.



You can try http://sourceforge.net, which is SourceForge (as you might guess from the URL), a source for open-source software (pun intended). There are quite a few programs there for Linux, just search for what you like.



Good luck, and have fun with Linux!
sourceforge.net

No comments:

Post a Comment